Last week I confessed to how messy my office is. I was approached at coffee shops this week from people saying how much they loved seeing that I wasn’t perfect and there was hope for them. I was shocked by that as I am far from perfect. But perhaps I am viewed that way and then it got me worried as I thought people knew that I am a hot mess. But maybe I am a secret hot mess? I am here to tell you, I am far from perfect and I don’t want you to think I am. I am worried that Dateline will show up at my house and call me a fraud in the organizing world. I do not want that scary blonde man shoving a camera and microphone in my face. So today I am confessing and coming clean, I am not perfect, far from it. I have however found some life hacks that do help me appear to have my act together.
1. I only wash my hair every six days. This saves me countless hours in the bathroom. I have long thick hair that doesn’t require frequent washings. If you stop at my house you will often see my hair pilled on my head in a ponytail. Even though it looks like I spend a lot of time on my hair, I don’t.
2. I spend little time shopping. It just isn’t something that I enjoy. I have found a line of clothing that I like and I stick with that. Too many choices overwhelm me.
3. I wear the same clothes and will repeat outfits during the week. I am proof that you wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time. I work from home most days and when I leave it is only for a few hours a day. If my clothes aren’t dirty I will wear them again during the week. This also helps me cut down on the amount of laundry that I do. Most days if you stop at my house you will find me in my comfy clothes that may or may not be my pajamas.
4. I belong to a meal delivery service that gives me three homemade meals a week. This way I get gourmet food without the trip to the store and the decision of what’s for dinner is made for me. I can quickly make dinner and satisfy my inner foodie.
5. My one guilty pleasure in life is my eyelash extensions. If you don’t know what these are, look at anyone with long eyelashes, chances are they are extensions. This gives me the illusion that I have makeup on and I really don’t. Once again saving time in the bathroom is the benefit of this hack.
6. I keep my car clean. Granted I only have one child at home now. But even when my kids were little my car was always clean. It may have smelled like a happy meal, but there was never any junk stored in the car. We emptied the car daily. Once we get into the habit of having a clean car, it is a pretty easy habit to keep. The outside is always clean too. Having the words professional organizer on your car gives you the pressure to keep your car clean, as you know people are looking at it. Want a clean car, just put professional organizer for the motivation!
7. I write down what is in my head and only in one place. Gone are the days of being able to remember everything. My husband can remember every number, code and password but he can’t remember names. I can remember names and not much else. I now have little check boxes that I create in my planner for me to put my action items and reminders of the day. And it has to be in one place. I can’t go chasing down scraps of paper. My brain is full and I can’t fit anymore in. If I am arrested I only have one number memorized to call, my parent’s home phone. I hope they pick up the collect call!
8. I keep all of our car keys in a basket by the front door. I never have to worry about where the car keys are as we all have the habit of dropping the keys in the basket. This gets me out the door on time and hopefully arrive at my destination on time. I have figured that I can get anywhere in my town in 15-30 minutes and I plan accordingly.
9. When I give a gift I almost always give flowers. Everyone loves fresh flower and it is a gift that is a consumable so that it does not waste clutter. Ask any woman if she would want fresh flowers delivered as a gift and they will say yes. Having gifts narrowed down saves me time shopping for gifts.
So no matter where you are in your organizing journey, know that I am on the journey with you. In my case I may look like I have it all together, but in reality I am a hot mess. Because remember, appearances may be deceiving.
To Joyful, Simplified Organizing,
Melissa is a Productivity Consultant living in Fargo, North Dakota doing her best of living a life full of adventure. Filling a life of memories and not of things!