Thursday, February 12, 2009

Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli soup

Sometimes I need the supper that can be kept in a crock the whole day and serve my family as we come and go with our busy schedules. I made a Pasta Fagioli soup for lunch this morning as I knew I was having friends over at noon…but I also knew that I would be gone after 8:30 am only to return minutes before my lunch guests arrived. Plus this soup could play double duty by simmering in the crock pot all day and then we could have it for supper as a family.

The trick for this soup is to boil the noodles ahead of time and place them in the fridge. When you are ready to serve the soup, spoon the noodles in the bottom of the bowl and pour the hot soup over the top. This is a trick that I learned from my favorite soup restaurant in Fargo, Mosaic Foods.

Ingredients2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
5 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound ditalini pasta

In a small pot over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook until tender. Add to the crock pot along with the tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, salt, and cannellini beans. Simmer on the low setting of the crock pot for at least 3 hours.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain with cold water. Place in container to be put in the refrigerator (tip: I sprayed the noodles with some non stick spray and stirred them up so that they wouldn’t stick)

Dish out soup by placing noodles in bowl first and then stir in the soup.

Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Use this soup as a base and you could add your families’ favorites such as Italian sausage or vegetables.

2 comments:

Jenny Davis said...

Yum - that sounds good. And I have the same bowls as you, making it look even BETTER! You have great taste ;)

Anonymous said...

Saute a little chopped proccuito to add to soup. I would also add some chick peas

Pin it