Saturday, November 13, 2010

42 Days Until Christmas.....Or How to Keep Your Sanity

Most kids have a lot of toys......I mean a lot. And the idea of having more come into the house seems overwhelming to parents. So the idea today is to start sorting some of those toys now to get out of your house before the holiday gift giving begins. Sort toys that your children no longer play with. In order to bring more toys into your home, you need to get rid of some to make room. If you have a child who has a hard time getting rid of toys, talk to him/her about setting some used toys out for Santa to take back to the North Pole for repair and giving out to other children. If there are toys that are beyond repair, use a black garbage bag so that the child does not see the broken toys leaving and depending on your child, you may even need to do this task with them out of the house.


The good news is that as your kids get older, their gifts get smaller however the bad news is that they get more expensive. I have teenage and preteen boys, their gifts are limited now to the newest video games. Small things with big price tags.

Another idea is to encourage the gift giver to give something besides toys. What about a ticket to a play or concert. I am a big believer on giving gifts of experiences. So maybe Grandma and Grandpa could give the gift of tickets to the next Elmo show or Disney on Ice.

Getting rid of stuff is not just limited to the kids. What can you get rid of now to make room for the new. When I buy something I always have the one in one out rule in mind. My husband and I only have so many hangers in our closet, and we aren't buying any more. So when I bought him two new pairs of pants, he had to get rid of two shirts to make room. This was easy to do as they were things he knew he no longer wore.

I recently went to a home kitchen party and I told myself when I was buying the kitchen items I would have to get rid of the same number of pieces in my kitchen. One new frying pan replaces the old frying pan.

So today, in order to make room for the new, get rid of the old. Make sure to donate as many items as possible.


To Joyful, Simplified Living,

MS. Simplicity

No comments:

Pin it